Fall 2019 Admissions Update: BIO 168, BIO 169, and CHM 131/A (grade “C” or higher) will be required prior to enrollment in the Fall 2019 RT program. Students must complete these courses by the end of the 2019 spring semester. Curriculum Update: ENG 112 will replace the ENG 114/COM 120 requirement.
It is your responsibility to read this page and the information it contains in its entirety. You must meet all requirements to be considered for acceptance; however, completion of these tasks does not guarantee acceptance to the Fall 2019 entering class.
Please review the Credit Programs Catalog for more information on policies and procedures for this program and for Rockingham Community College.
Please review the Respiratory Therapy Performance Standards (pdf). Submitting a Respiratory Therapy Candidate Review form indicates your understanding of these standards.
For programmatic outcomes data, please visit the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) website.
Respiratory Therapy Candidate Review Form must be turned in to the Assistant Director of Enrollment Services in the Whitcomb Student Center by 3:00pm on March 15, 2019. We will begin accepting Candidate Review Forms on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
Application to Acceptance Timeline (pdf)
An appointment is required to submit the Respiratory Therapy Candidate Review Form. Contact Laura Jennings, Assistant Director of Enrollment Services, at (336) 342-4261 x2127 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
2018-2019 Information Session Dates:
Wednesday, September 5, 6pm - OHS 122
Tuesday, September 18, 1pm - OHS 122
Thursday, October 18, 6pm - OHS 206
Tuesday, October 30, 11am - OHS 122
Tuesday, November 13, 6pm - OHS 122
Sessions will take place in the Owens Human Services (OHS) Building. Most sessions take place in OHS 122, the Respiratory Lab, which is located on the first floor, down the hall to the right of the Information Desk, across from the commons area.
For more information on the program, please feel free to contact Admissions at (336) 342-4261 x 2333.
GPA is calculated using completed general education courses including BIO 168, BIO 169, CHM 131/A, ENG 111, ENG 112, PSY 150, and a humanities elective. The following Excel spreadsheet can be used to calculate GPA using final grades from these courses. Course letter grade (A, B, C) can be entered into the yellow column. GPA is automatically calculated in the labeled green cell.
New review procedures use a selection system based on the awarding of points for several category areas. Applicants with the highest number of points who also meet all admissions criteria are reviewed first. These areas may be found in the Review Category Areas (pdf).
If admitted to the Respiratory Therapy program, students will attend a mandatory Respiratory Therapy orientation during the spring or summer 2019 semester.
1. Complete the RCC Admissions Process. See steps on the Admissions RCC web page.
2. Complete the specific Respiratory Therapy admissions requirements:
- Complete or place out of all necessary developmental-level courses in mathematics (DMA 010, 020, 030, 040, 050) and English (DRE 096, 097, 098).
- Complete BIO 168 and BIO 169 with grade of "C" or higher (candidate may be enrolled in BIO 169 in Spring 2019 semester).
- Complete a college-level chemistry course and lab (CHM 131/A or higher) with grade of "C" or higher (candidate may be enrolled in CHM 131/A during the Spring 2019 semester).
- Candidate has a 2.8 GPA or higher from all pre-requisite and respiratory therapy general education courses. GPA calculation includes: BIO 168, BIO 169, CHM 131/A and any completed general education courses (ENG 111, ENG 112, PSY 150, and a humanities elective).
- Candidate is in Good Academic Standing with Rockingham Community College.
3. Meet with the Assistant Director of Enrollment Services in the Whitcomb Student Center Admissions Office. Bring a copy of the Respiratory Therapy Candidate Review Form and any supporting documents ( please see the Review Category Areas pdf under Review Procedure) with you (appointment required). Deadline to apply is March 15, 2019 at 3pm.