Start Local. Go Far.

State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college’s adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010. Institutions offering distance education courses or programs must provide current and prospective students with the contact information for filing complaints with the college, its accrediting agency, and with the state agencies that handle complaints in the students' state of residence. Rockingham Community College is currently authorized to offer Distance Learning courses in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Registration of students from other states in online courses may require additional time and information so please allow additional time for this process. Students residing outside of the State of North Carolina while taking online courses from Rockingham Community College who desire to resolve an academic grievance or complaint should first follow Rockingham Community College's Student Complaint Process.

NC Community College System, Rockingham Community College, and NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Procedures

Rockingham Community College (RCC) is a member of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS). The NCCCS Complaint Policy is available for all students to review, however, students are advised to begin the process at the institutional level.

RCC Student Complaint Process

NCCCS Complaint Procedures and Forms

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution's complaint process, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy, print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Office of Post-Secondary Education Complaints
C/o Student Complaints
910 Raleigh Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

If for some reason the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Rockingham Community College's accrediting agency. RCC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure. The contact information for SACS is:

1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: 404-679-4500 Website:

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF).

SARA-NC Contact Information: SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
T: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

Professional Licensure

If you are considering a program at Rockingham Community College that leads to licensure or certification and do not live in North Carolina, please contact the respective licensing board in the state where you reside before beginning the program. It is the student's responsibility to contact the licensing board in the state in which they reside or intend to practice.

Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

Directory of State Authorization and Lead Contacts

Professional Licensing Board Disclaimer and Contacts (License/Licensure Information)