Log Tobacco Factory

This building was erected by Dr. G. P. "Pink" Bailey about 1851 for the production of plug chewing tobacco.  Robert Harris manufactured plug and smoking tobacco in the factory between 1868 and 1875.  The factory was acquired by the Butler family in 1897 and was last used for the production of chewing tobacco about 1912.  The building was donated to Rockingham Community College by the estate of Ethel Butler.  It was moved to the campus, reconstructed and restored in 1993 and 1994.

 

Gerald B. James Library
Rockingham Community College
P.O. Box 38
Wentworth, NC 27375
Phone: (336) 342-4261 ext.2247
Fax: (336) 342-1203