*******PARAMEDIC PROGRAM TO START JULY 6TH, ALL MATERIALS DUE BY JUNE 16TH, CALL FOR MORE INFO*******
*****ALL PERSONS THAT CURRENTLY HOLD A MEDICAL CREDENTIAL WITH NCOEMS MUST READ*****
- If your Initial Certification class had started prior to Jan 1st 2014, you are required by the state to Transition to the new National Standard that the state has been moving toward since 2014. This must be done by Dec 31st, 2018 or your credential will be considered expired. RCEMS has been implementing the EMT Transition topics into the monthly con ed but many have either missed a class or the class didn't make. So, in an effort to facilitate the transition, the college will be offering several online Transition courses over the next two years. Any questions, please call 336-342-4261 ext 2111 and speak with Jason Collins. Please visit http://www.ncems.org/transition/ for more information about the NC Transition of EMS Credentials.
- EMT Initial Courses (Traditional and Hybrid)---- Traditional starts Aug 16th through Dec 20th, Hybrid starts Aug 28th through Dec 16th.
- Student/Course prerequisites: 17 years of age on or before the official end date of the course; High school diploma or high school equivalent; and proof of basic reading comprehension skills at a minimum of the eleventh grade level. At the successful end of the course, the student will be eligible to sit for the North Carolina or National Registry EMT Cognitive Exam. Course costs is $233 (unless fee exempt, then $53), not including textbooks. Courses also consists of 24 hours of ambulance ride time.
- Paramedic Course---- Starts July 6th through June 26th, 2018.
- You will be required to test at a Post-secondary level in Reading, Writing and Math, some college level classes may count for this requirement. At the successful end of the course, the student will be eligible to sit for the North Carolina Paramedic Cognitive Exam.
- MR to EMR Transition Online---- June 12th-June 25th, This course is completely online.
- These courses are designed to provide the North Carolina credentialed student with the knowledge needed to transition to the new National EMS Education Standards. All transition classes are offered completely online. Pre-registration is required. NC fee exemption status does apply. You must hold a current and unrestricted North Carolina Medical Responder credential.
- EMT Refresher---- June 5th-Aug 2nd, Class will meet every Monday and Wednesday from 6p-10p with some online material.
- The EMT Refresher Course is designed to meet North Carolina Office of EMS standards for those EMT’s that are in need of Continuing Education for re-credentialing, expired credentials, or those who have been unsuccessful on their 1st 3 attempts at the State Exam. The on campus class dates are to facilitate the AHA update, skills refresher, Technical Scope of Practice Exam and Final Exam. After successful completion of this course, currently credentialed EMT's may be able to sit for the National Registry Cognitive Exam. NC fee-exempt status does apply to this course.
Being a Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT), or Paramedic means helping people when they need it most. Rockingham Community College can provide the training you need to enter this challenging field and get the rewarding feeling that comes from helping others. The NC Office of Emergency Medical Services (NCOEMS) mandates specific training to ensure the North Carolina has the very best trained EMTs and paramedics. Entrance requirements for the EMT program at RCC are:
Must have a high school diploma or GED or Adult high school diploma
Passing score for reading for the EMT and additionally math comprehension for the AEMT and Paramedic level
$180 registration fee (fee exemption with valid proof of affiliation with NC Fire/Rescue/Police)
Supply fees as applicable
Interview with EMS coordinator
Physical and shot records including TB for the AEMT and Paramedic Program
Hepatitis B vaccination or waiver for the AEMT and Paramedic Program
Proof of current flu shot for the AEMT and Paramedic Program
Those interested should contact the EMS Program Office at 336.342.4261, ext.2111
Other EMS Courses
Emergency Services Leadership
Field Training Officer/Preceptor Training
Basic Anatomy & Physiology
Integrated Healthcare Provider
Also offer a range of AHA (American Heart Association) classes including Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, and Pediatric Advanced Life Support and also NAEMT (National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians) courses including Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support, Advanced Medical Life Support, and Emergency Pediatric Care.
Those interested in the AHA Programs should call 336.342.4261, ext.2602, for all other programs call 336.342.4261, ext. 2111
Upcoming AHA Classes
- BLS/CPR Instructor----July 15th 8a-5p
- PALS Initial-----August 5th & 6th 8a-5p
- PALS Recertification----August 6th 8a-5p
- ACLS Initial----June 24th & 25th 8a-5p
- ACLS Recertification----June 25th 8a-5p
- June 10th 9a-1p
- July 8th 9a-1p
- August 12th 9a-1p
- First Aid
- August 12th 2p-5p