- Fitness Center
- Eagle Alerts
- Academic Support
- Academic Calendar
- Dining On Campus
- Campus Safety
- Career Counseling
- Transfer & Career Services
- Clubs & Organizations
- Disability Services
- Catalogs, Schedules & Pubs
- Distance Learning
- Counseling Services
- Events Calendar
- Financial Aid
- James Library
- Records Office
- Student Handbook
- Technology Support
- The Learning Center
- The Testing Center
- Tuition & Fees
- Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs Office
Thank you for your interest in Rockingham Community College (RCC)! RCC has been named by G.I. Jobs magazine as a Military Friendly School for 2015! RCC is approved for Veterans Administration(VA) Educational Benefits and this page is intended to provide information about receiving VA Educational Benefits at RCC.
If you are interested in recieving VA benefits contact:
(336) 342-4261 ext. 2203 or 2319
Fax: (336) 342-1809
The Veterans Affairs Office is in the Financial Aid Office located in the Whitcomb Student Center on RCC's campus.
Which GI Bill Should I Apply For? Eligibility Criteria are complex and the following is general information about eligibiltiy. Students MUST file an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility. The Application for Veterans Benefits (VONAPP) can be found online at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.
Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill: Contributed $1200 while on Active Duty and generally benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.
Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Voc Rehab): Helps Veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs through educational opportunities.
Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill: Served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days on or after 09/11/2001 and must waive all other educational benefits.
Chapter 35 – Dependent's Educational Assistance (DEA): Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.
Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR): The program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserves.
Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Programs (REAP): Designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called to active duty in response to a war or national emergency.
Tuition Assistance - TA Educational Assistance Program: Tuition Assistance may be provided to eligible active duty and Reserve members through their respective military.
Steps to Complete for VA Benefits at RCC:
- Complete an RCC Admissions Application
- Complete the VA application for benefits (VONAPP)
- Submit official High School transcript to Admissions
- Submit official transcripts for ALL previously attended colleges to Admissions
- Take Placement tests (if applicable)
- Register only for the classes required in your current program of study and needed to graduate in your current program of study
- Meet with the RCC VA Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office (to make an appointment call 336-342-4261 ext. 2000 or 2203)
- Bring a copy of your DD-214 (must be the Member 4 copy), your Letter of Eligibility (mailed to you from the VA upon completion of the VONAPP), and a copy of your current class schedule to the meeting with the RCC VA Coordinator
Important Information to Remember:
- It is the student's responsibility to submit a copy of their class schedule to the Financial Aid Office EVERY semester that they would like their classes certified to the VA in order to recieve VA benefits
- It is the student's responsibility to notify the RCC VA Coordinator IMMEDIATELY of any changes in their program of study, class schedule, attendance, dropping a course, and/or withdrawing from a course
- Students receiving VA educational benefits at RCC must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please refer to the SAP policy located on the RCC Financial Aid webpage http://www.rockinghamcc.edu/student-services/financial-aid/awardinfo.htm
- Audited Classes are not VA eligible
- Online Developmental/Remedial classes are not VA eligible
- Mini-mester classes affect your certification status with the VA. Your benefit payments will be prorated by the VA based on how many hours you are taking during that period of time.
- Visit the RCC Financial Aid webpage http://www.rockinghamcc.edu/student-services/financial-aid/ or contact the Financial Aid Office at 336-342-4261 ext. 2203 for more information on other financial resources to attend college.
GI Bill - www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ 1-800-442-4551
E-Benefits - www.ebenefits.va.gov
Tuition Assistance - www.GoArmyEd.com
North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance - www.nc.ngb.army.mil/Services/Pages/Edu.aspx
Vocational Rehabilitation - www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp
VA Debt Management - www.va.gov/debtman
Veterans' Service Records - http://www.archives.gov/veterans/index.html