RCC is gearing up for our Quality Enhancement Plan or QEP, “Flight Ready,” which aims to improve students’ employability skills!
While the QEP committees are still finalizing the strategies the college will use to implement the QEP, it will include efforts both in- and outside the classroom to address many of the employability skills identified as most important by local and national employers as well as transfer institutions.
What is a QEP?
Colleges accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) go through a review for reaffirmation of accreditation every 10 years. For re-accreditation purposes, SACSCOC requires colleges and universities to engage in a broad-based self-study to identify and become involved in a plan that will enhance overall student learning and/or the learning environment at the institution. This Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is a five-year project that will become part of the college’s culture.
Flight Ready QEP Goals:
- Students will improve the effectiveness of their communication.
- Students will demonstrate initiative related to improving their academic performance.
- Students will demonstrate reliability in planning and completing their RCC-related activities.
- Faculty and staff will participate in training related to the development and incorporation of soft skills instruction in student coursework and activities.
There are several groups working on getting the QEP ready:
- The Research Subgroup conducted a literature review this past spring and summer to find research-based support for our chosen QEP topic and to identify best practices for implementing the QEP.
- The Assessment Subgroup, chaired by Celeste Allis, developed the goals above, outcomes for the QEP, and the preliminary strategies, assessments, and measures for the QEP.
- The Staff Development Subgroup, chaired by Laura Jennings, is planning professional development and assistance for faculty and staff in implementing the QEP.
- The Marketing Subgroup, chaired by Terrica Williams, has begun the process of spreading awareness about the QEP and is planning the QEP’s marketing campaign beginning in Spring.
- The Implementation Subgroup, co-chaired by Benjamin Crouch and Thomas Knight will finalize and deploy the QEP.
If you have any ideas you would like to share with the QEP groups, or any role you would like to play
in implementing it, please contact Benjamin Crouch firstname.lastname@example.org.