Another $104k awarded to students affected by COVID-19; new applications due July 6Jun 29, 2020
WENTWORTH – Rockingham Community College has awarded another group of students with emergency funds through the CARES Act, for a total so far of $254,190.
RCC awarded more than $150,000 to 280-plus spring semester students during the first wave of applications, which deadlined on May 11.
Following a second wave of applications on June 5, another 134 students received $104,190.
There is still more money to distribute through the CARES Act for students impacted by COVID-19. The College has set a deadline of Monday, July 6 for applications.
Students who are awarded funds will receive checks through the mail or the money will be direct deposited into students’ bank accounts if RCC has that information on file.
Students who were enrolled at RCC in the spring semester should check their RCC email for information and a link to the application.
Students who have already applied do not need to submit another application.
The U.S. Department of Education is providing this federal funding for students who have been impacted by the disruption of the delivery of instruction due to COVID-19 through the CARES Act (Cornonavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) HEERF (Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund).
Students are eligible if they:
• Were enrolled in a curriculum program at RCC on March 13, 2020
• Have a high school diploma or GED equivalency
• Submitted a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
• Maintain satisfactory academic progress
Students are NOT eligible, according to federal guidelines, if they:
• Were enrolled fully online during the Spring 2020 semester
• Are currently enrolled in high school
How do I apply for Emergency Relief Fund?
• Students should check their RCC email for a link to the application, and also make sure RCC has a completed FAFSA application on file.
I have not submitted a FAFSA application, is it too late?
• No – Please submit ASAP. Your application cannot be processed until a valid FAFSA is received. To fill one out, visit https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. RCC’s School Code is 002958. If you need help completing the application, contact RCC to schedule a FAFSA Zoom meeting at 336-342-4261 ext. 2204 or email@example.com.
How much funding can I receive?
• Grant amounts vary by student circumstances.
How will I receive my funding?
• Direct deposit (student can enter banking information via their self-service account on RCC’s website) or paper check to the mailing address on file if no bank account information is entered.
How can the funding be used?
• Funds should be used for emergency expenses incurred due to COVID-19.
How will I know if I have been approved?
• You will be notified via your RCC email account.
Can I receive an additional award if I have previously been awarded?
• No. Currently, CARES Act HEERF is a one-time award.