Practical Nursing Diploma (D45660)
The Practical Nursing curriculum provides knowledge and skills to integrate safety and quality into nursing care to meet the needs of the holistic individual which impact health, quality of life, and achievement of potential.
Course work includes and builds upon the domains of healthcare, nursing practice, and the holistic individual. Content emphasizes safe, individualized nursing care and participation in the interdisciplinary team while employing evidence- based practice, quality improvement, and informatics.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) which is required for practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation/long term care/home health facilities, clinics, and physicians’ offices.
Practical Nursing (PN) Minimum Requirements
- Complete the RCC admissions process ( apply to RCC, submit all transcripts)
- Completed BIO 168 and BIO 169 with a grade of “C” or higher. (Applicants may be enrolled in BIO 169 in the Spring 2022 semester.)
- Completed CHM 131 (with lab CHM 131A ) or CHM 151 with a grade of “C” or higher. (Applicants may be enrolled in CHM 131 /A or CHM 151 in the Spring 2022 semester.)
- Completed ENG 111 with a grade of “C” or higher. (Applicant may be enrolled in ENG 111 in the Spring 2022 semester.)
- Have a 2.5 GPA or higher from all completed pre-requisite and nursing general education courses. GPA calculation includes:
- Be in Satisfactory Academic Standing with Rockingham Community College (2.0 or higher RCC cumulative GPA).
- Attend a mandatory Nursing Information Session in the 2021/2022 academic year.
- Hold current certification in Adult and Child CPR issued by the American Heart Association.
- Complete the TEAS exam with a minimum score of 58%. Scores are valid for 24 months (2 years) from time of application.
- Essay– One page, double spaced, typed statement responding to the following questions: What makes you a strong candidate for the PN program at Rockingham Community College? What is the biggest challenge you will face in the PN program?
It is your responsibility to read this page and the information it contains in its entirety. You must meet all requirements to be considered for acceptance; however, completion of these items does not guarantee acceptance to the Fall 2022 entering class.
North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBON)
P.O. Box 2129,
Raleigh, NC 27602-2129
Practical Nursing Program
|Program Prerequisites: Students admitted to the Practical Nursing must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher prior to enrolling in the first nursing [NUR] class.||Class||Lab||Clinical||Credit|
|BIO 168||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||3||3||0||4|
|BIO 169||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||3||3||0||4|
|CHM 131||Introduction to Chemistry||3||0||3||3|
|CHM 131A||Introduction to Chemistry Lab or||0||3||0||1|
|CHM 151||General Chemistry I||3||3||0||4|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 101||Practical Nursing I||7||6||6||11|
|NUR 102||Practical Nursing II||7||0||9||10|
|PSY 150||General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 103||Practical Nursing III||6||0||9||9|
- Apply the nursing process to provide safe patient care, under supervision.
- Reinforce and implement individualized education plans.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with patients, families, and members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Participate in providing evidence-based care for patients across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate caring behaviors in implementing culturally competent, patient-centered nursing care to diverse patients across the lifespan.
- Utilize informatics to access, manage, and communicate patient information and validate best practices
Practical Nursing Program Costs
Practical Nursing program students should be prepared to incur additional expenses beyond tuition and college fees.
Outlined below are estimated expenses and are subject to change:
|Immunizations (which includes but not limited to Hep B, TB, Flu, childhood immunizations)||$300|
|Drug Screen and Background Check||$114|
|Uniforms for Clinical and Lab||$140|
|1 pair bandage scissors, 1 pair hemostats, pen light,|
|3-color pen, 1 stethoscope, 1 sphygmomanometer||$100|
|1 pair shoes (white leather)||$50-75|
|Watch with second hand; military time preferred||$25|
|Online Educational services|
|Clinical Placement Charge||$25|
|Nursing Pin, Lamp, and Cap (optional)||$75|
|Nursing Lab Kit||$154|
|Certification Exam (National Council Licensure Exam, NCLEX-PN)||$300|