Respiratory Therapy (A45720)
Associate in Applied Science
The Respiratory Therapy curriculum prepares individuals to function as respiratory therapists through demonstrated competence in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains of respiratory care practice. Graduates perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures with exposure to current and emerging practice settings.
The curriculum prepares graduates to operate within inter-professional teams and effectively communicate with clients/patients of various ages, ethnicities, and cultures. Application of problem solving strategies, applying ethical decision making, and understanding professional responsibilities are emphasized.
Graduates are eligible to complete the credentialing process through the National Board for Respiratory Care, which will qualify them for a license to practice in a variety of healthcare settings with responsibilities for assessment, treatment, management and education of patients with cardiopulmonary diseases.
The Rockingham Community College Respiratory Therapy Program, CoARC program # 200459, AAS, in Wentworth, NC is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.CoARC Programmatic Outcomes
CoARC accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcomes based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented. The link listed above provides potential applicants and the public detailed data regarding student/graduate outcomes of this program and all other programs accredited by the (CoARC) Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.
2. Student are encouraged to attend a Respiratory Therapy Information Session.
3. Complete minimum admission requirements by the end of April 30th.
4. Admission to all RCC Health Science programs is a competitive process. Applicants are evaluated based upon academic performance.
5. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher in respiratory therapy general education courses by the published deadline date for submitting Candidate Review Forms to the Admissions Office. Applicants not meeting the cumulative GPA requirements will not be reviewed by the program area for admission.
6. Students must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher before enrolling in the first RCP course: BIO 168, BIO 169, CHM 131 /CHM131A or higher chemistry.
7. Students must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher for the Respiratory Therapy program ENG 111, ENG 112, PSY 150, and Humanities/Fine Arts elective.
8. All transcripts must be on file in the Admissions Office in order for a student to be considered for admission.
9. Upon program acceptance, students must submit to a background check, drug screening and medical review/screen to include physical examination and immunizations. All fees associated with background check, drug screen and medical review are the responsibility of the student.
Respiratory Therapy Program
|Program Prerequisites: Students admitted to the Respiratory Therapy program must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher prior to enrolling in the first Respiratory Therapy [RCP] class:||Class||Lab||Clinical||Credit|
|BIO 168||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||3||3||0||4|
|BIO 169||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||3||3||0||4|
|CHM 131||Introduction to Chemistry||3||0||0||3|
|CHM 131A||Introduction to Chemistry Lab or||0||3||0||1|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|RCP 110||Introduction to Respiratory Care||3||3||0||4|
|RCP 113||RCP Pharmacology||2||0||0||2|
|RCP 114||C-P Anatomy and Physiology||3||0||0||3|
|RCP 115||C-P Pathophysiology||2||0||0||2|
|RCP 146||RCP Clinical Practice II||0||0||18||6|
|RCP 123||Special Practice Lab||0||3||0||1|
|RCP 152||RCP Clinical Practice III||0||0||6||2|
|ENG 112||Writing and Research in the Discipline||3||0||0||3|
|PSY 150||General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|RCP 210||Critical Care Concepts||3||3||0||4|
|RCP 213||Neonatal/Pediatric Concepts||2||0||0||2|
|RCP 236||Clinical Practice IV||0||0||18||6|
|RCP 211||Advanced Monitoring/Procedures||3||3||0||4|
|RCP 215||Career Preparation||0||3||0||1|
|RCP 223||Special Practice Lab||0||3||0||1|
|RCP 246||RCP Clinical Practice V||0||0||18||6|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3||0||0||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: ART 111, ART 114, ART 115, ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 241, ENG 242, MUS 110, MUS 112, PHI 215, PHI 240 Gen Ed: HUM 115, REL 110|
- Perform related therapeutic and diagnostic procedures in clinical practice with exposure to current and emerging practice settings required for a respiratory therapist entering the profession.
- Utilize effective interpersonal and communication skills to promote cardiopulmonary wellness and disease management within diverse population groups.
- Apply problem solving skills, ethical decision making, and professional responsibility according to the AARC Statement of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- Complete the credentialing process through the National Board for Respiratory Care, which will qualify them for a license to practice in a variety of healthcare settings with responsibilities for assessment, treatment, management and education of patients with cardiopulmonary diseases.
- Adapt strategies for therapeutic and life-supporting procedures based upon patient assessment.
- Develop up-to-date therapeutic goals and respiratory care plans for patients with cardiopulmonary disease.
Respiratory Therapy Program Costs
Respiratory Therapy students should be prepared to incur additional expenses beyond tuition and college fees.
Outlined below are estimated expenses and are subject to change:
|(Includes but not limited to Hep, B, TB, Flu, childhood immunizations)||$300|
|Student Accident Insurance||$6|
|Respiratory Therapy Books||$300|
|Drug Screen and Background Check||$114|
|Required Annual Immunizations||$100|
|Student Accident Insurance||$4|
|School Pin (optional)||$50-$100|
|Respiratory Therapy Books||$300|
|(The Multiple Choice) TMC||$190|
|Clinical Simulation Exam (CSE)||$200|