Surgical Technology (A45740)
Associate in Applied Science
The Surgical Technology curriculum prepares individuals to assist in the care of the surgical patient in the operating room and to function as a member of the surgical team.
Students will apply theoretical knowledge to the care of patients undergoing surgery and develop skills necessary to prepare supplies, equipment, and instruments; maintain aseptic conditions; prepare patients for surgery; and assist surgeons during operations.
Employment opportunities include labor/delivery/emergency departments, inpatient/outpatient surgery centers, dialysis units/facilities, physicians’ offices, and central supply processing units.
Students of Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited programs are required to take the national certification exam administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) within 30 days prior to or after graduation.
2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 CST pass rates:
- 2019 – 50%
- 2020 – 58%
- 2021 – 64%
- 2022 – 67%
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 – 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
19751 East Mainstreet, Suite #339
Parker, CO 80138
Surgical Technology Minimum Requirements
- Candidate has completed ENG 111 and MED 120 with a grade of “C” or higher (may be enrolled in 2021 summer semester).
- Candidate is eligible to take MAT 143 with or without a co-requisite.
- Candidate has a 2.5 GPA or higher from all surgical technology general education courses. GPA calculation includes any of the following completed courses: BIO 163, BIO 175, MED 120, PSY 150, ENG 111, ENG 112 , CIS 110, and humanities/fine arts elective.
- Candidate is in Satisfactory Academic Standing with Rockingham Community College (RCC cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher).
- Essay: One page, double-spaced typed statement responding to the following questions: What makes you a strong candidate for the RCC Surgical Technology program? What is the biggest challenge you will face in the program?
It is your responsibility to read this page and the information it contains in its entirety. You must meet all requirements to be considered for acceptance; however, completion of these tasks does not guarantee acceptance to the Fall 2023 entering class.
Surgical Technology Program
|Program Prerequisites: Students admitted to the Surgical Technology must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher prior to enrolling in the first Surgical Technology [SUR] class.||Class||Lab||Clinical||Credit|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|MED 120||Survey of Medical Terminology||2||0||0||2|
|SUR 110||Introduction to Surgical Technology||3||0||0||3|
|SUR 111||Perioperative Patient Care||5||6||0||7|
|BIO 163||Basic Anatomy & Physiology||4||2||0||5|
|CIS 110||Introduction to Computers||2||2||0||3|
|SUR 122||Surgical Procedures I||5||3||0||6|
|SUR 123||Surgical Clinical Practice I||0||0||21||7|
|BIO 175||General Microbiology||2||2||0||3|
|SUR 134||Surgical Procedures II||5||0||0||5|
|SUR 135||Surgical Clinical Practice II||0||0||12||4|
|SUR 211||Advanced Theoretical Concepts||2||0||0||2|
|SUR 212||Clinical Supplement||0||0||12||4|
|ENG 112||Writing/Research in the Disciplines||3||0||0||3|
|SUR 137||Professional Success Prep||1||0||0||1|
|SUR 210||Advanced Surgical Clinical Practice||0||0||6||2|
|PSY 150||General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: ART 111, ART 114, ART 115, ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 241, ENG 242, MUS 110, MUS 112, PHI 215, PHI 240 Gen Ed: HUM 115, REL 110|
- Function as competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Apply knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, and Medical Terminology within the surgical environment which includes the ability to differentiate between normal and the abnormal anatomy, physiology, laboratory findings, and other diagnostic data.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the skills and procedures required of a surgical technologist in a professional/clinical setting utilizing the principles of aseptic technique with a strong surgical conscience and application of safe practices in the healthcare environment.
- Demonstrate accountability of practice with adherence to ethical and legal standards of the Surgical Technologist profession.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills; prioritizing, analyzing, anticipating, resolving problems, and acting instinctively and decisively in the healthcare environment.
- Communicate effectively in the perioperative healthcare environment with all members of the healthcare team.
Surgical Technology Program Costs
Surgical Technology program students should be prepared to incur additional expenses beyond tuition and college fees.
Outlined below are estimated expenses and are subject to change:
|Immunizations (which includes but not limited to|
|Hep B, TB, Flu, childhood immunizations)||$300|
|*Drug Screen & Background Check||$114|
|Student Accident Insurance||$10|
|Certification Exam (Certified Surgical Technologist) CST||$190 (Association of Surgical Technologist Member Cost)|
|$290 (Association of Surgical Technologist Non-Member Cost)|
General Education Outcomes
Rockingham Community College has three general education outcomes:
Communication: Students will communicate using the conventions appropriate for the intended academic or professional audiences.
Information Literacy: Students will locate, evaluate, and use appropriate information for academic and professional tasks.
Critical Thinking: Students will analyze information and ideas and develop reasoned solutions to academic or professional problems.
|Outcomes||Pass Rates by Year|
"The instructor has been so supportive and helpful. She has helped me in so many ways with keeping my head held high when I didn't think that I was going to make it though this semester. She wants to see you make it and not to give up."-- Fall 2021 ST Student