The C. Garland Rakestraw College Transfer and Career Center is located in the Advising & Counseling Center in Whitcomb Student Center and has numerous resources available for students to use. RCC’s career counselor uses various tools during individual counseling sessions including:
- Career assessments – matching your skills, interests, and values with careers
- College transfer information – for 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Job information – including job description, starting salary, education requirements
The goal of Career Counseling is to provide you with the information and skills necessary to make good career/life decisions and to develop a plan for how you can get from where you are to where you want to be. RCC on-site career counseling involves individual sessions with a counselor. All information shared is confidential and does not become a part of an academic file.
If you would like to speak to someone individually about career or college planning or take an interest inventory or personality/career type test, please make an appointment for career counseling.
Career Workshops & Presentations
To schedule a career or college planning presentation in your class or activity group contact Ms. Chelsea Cromartie ( email@example.com ). Keep an eye out as well for workshops offered on campus on topics such as: College Transfer tips, How to Write a Resume Cover Letter, Interviewing 101, and more.
An annual Career Expo is held in the Spring semester for all students. Alumni and others in the community seeking employment are also urged to attend.
RCC also offers the following services to help with job placement:
- College Central Network is our FREE online recruiting system for students and alumni job hunters, and for employers searching for outstanding candidates. Students and alumni register to search job and internship postings, create and upload resumes and portfolios, and access job search resources. Employers can register to post positions and search a database of resumes and portfolios.
- NCWorks allows you to seek jobs in NC as well as create a resume online. The service is free and provided by the North Carolina Department of Commerce. You must follow the link to set up an account with NCWorks.
- LinkedIn Jobs enables you to leverage the world’s largest professional network to connect with opportunity. Use LinkedIn Jobs to harness the power of your network and get hired. LinkedIn Jobs surfaces insights such as whom you know at a company and providing you an edge in your job search.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you tell me what I should be? What careers will provide me with security in the future?
Counselors do not have a crystal ball enabling them to know what will be best for you or what the future job market will hold. What we do have are the abilities and access to resources to help you identify, research and evaluate career/life options and plans. You will make decisions for what is right for you. CFNC.org offers a great self-assessment tool. Give it a try!
How much does career counseling cost?
Rockingham Community College does not charge for any of our career counseling services. The only cost will be the time you invest in planning for your future.
Who can use career counseling?
Anyone! Enrolled students, prospective students, community members, and alumni are all welcome to utilize our services.
How long does career counseling take?
The time needed is determined by the needs of each individual. Some only need specific information that can be obtained in a brief meeting, others utilize career resources and counseling over an extended period of time. You determine what services you want to utilize and the amount of time you want to invest.
College Transfer Fair
Each Fall semester a College Transfer Fair is held on campus, allowing college transfer students to meet with representatives from a number of colleges across the state. In past years participating colleges have included Guilford College, UNC Wilmington, NC State, East Carolina University, Western Carolina University, and Greensboro College.
College Recruiter Visits
Recruiters from 4-year colleges visit our campus throughout the year. This is a great opportunity for students to learn more about a college campus without driving all across the State.
Useful Links For College Transfer Students
- Comprehensive Articulation Agreement Between The University Of North Carolina And The North Carolina Community College System
- College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC)
- NC Community College System
- NC Association of Independent Colleges & Universities
- University of North Carolina System
Click on the following links for more information about:
For more information about college transfer & career services contact: Ms. Chelsea Cromartie, Assistant Director of Counseling Services (Career Development Focus) firstname.lastname@example.org 336.342.4261, ext. 2100.