Fall 2023 Admissions Information
Application Deadline: Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 4:00pm
Surgical Technology Minimum Requirements
- Candidate has completed ENG 111 and MED 120 with a grade of “C” or higher (may be enrolled in 2023 summer semester).
- Candidate is eligible to take MAT 143 with or without a co-requisite.
- Candidate has a 2.5 GPA or higher from all surgical technology general education courses. GPA calculation includes any of the following completed courses: BIO 163, BIO 175, MED 120, PSY 150, ENG 111, ENG 114, CIS 110, and a humanities/fine arts elective.
- Candidate is in Satisfactory Academic Standing with Rockingham Community College (RCC cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher).
- Essay: One page, double-spaced typed statement responding to the following questions: What makes you a strong candidate for the RCC Surgical Technology program? What is the biggest challenge you will face in the program?
It is your responsibility to read this page and the information it contains in its entirety. You must meet all requirements to be considered for acceptance; however, completion of these tasks does not guarantee acceptance to the Fall 2023 entering class.
- Read the Admissions Information completely and complete the Minimum Admissions Requirements.
- Attend a Surgical Technology Information Session (optional, but strongly encouraged).
- Complete the Surgical Technology Candidate Review Form online and upload required documentation.
- Monitor your email for your Candidate Review Form status. Candidate Review Forms will be processed as soon as possible upon submission. You will be notified via email whether your form has been successfully submitted to the Surgical Technology Department or if a follow-up meeting with RCC Admissions is required prior to processing your form:
- Submitted Candidate Review Forms that are complete and meet all minimum requirements will be processed and forwarded to the Surgical Technology Department for review. No further action from the student is required in this case.
- Candidates missing requirements or that need additional verification will be required to schedule a follow-up appointment. Candidates will receive the link to schedule an appointment by email. This appointment is required before the application will be processed and forwarded to the Surgical Technology Department for review.
- Schedule an appointment with the Surgical Technology Program Director, Crystal Talley (email@example.com).
The deadline to complete the application process is Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 4pm.
Bridging Students (Diploma to AAS)
Certified Surgical Technologists (CSTs) who have previously earned a diploma in Surgical Technology are encouraged to apply for the Surgical Technology Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree program.
Bridging students will follow the same application process listed above. You will indicate on the Candidate Review Form that you are bridging to the Associate in Applied Science degree program.
Candidate Review and Selection
Review procedures use a selection system based on the awarding of points for several category areas. Applicants with the highest number of points who also meet all admissions criteria are reviewed first.
Students admitted to the Surgical Technology program will attend a mandatory Surgical Technology orientation during the summer 2023 semester.
Information Session Details
Information sessions are optional, but highly encouraged. Sessions begin at the time listed below and will last approximately one hour. Please log into the Zoom session at least 10 minutes before the start time.
The Zoom link will be sent in an email confirmation upon registration for a session.
2022-2023 Surgical Technology Info Session Dates
|SESSION DATE||LOCATION||REGISTRATION LINK|
|Thursday, October 27, 2022||Click here to register|
|Wednesday, December 7, 2022||Click here to register|
|Wednesday, February 1, 2023||Click here to register|
|Wednesday, April 19, 2023||Click here to register|
|Tuesday, June 20, 2023||Click here to register|
Please review the Credit Programs Catalog and the 2022-2023 Surgical Technology Student Handbook for more information on policies and procedures for this program and for Rockingham Community College.
The Surgical Technology Curriculum outline may be found in the RCC Catalog. (Outline is subject to change.)
Please review the Surgical Technology Performance Standards. Submitting a Surgical Technology Candidate Review form indicates your understanding of these standards.
- 2021 CST Exam Pass Rate: 64%
- 2020 CST Exam Pass Rate: 58%
- 2019 CST Exam Pass Rate: 50%
The Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763
Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
6 W. Dry Creek Circle, Suite 210
Littleton, CO 80120
Clinical Compliance Policy
The Surgical Technology Program provides learning opportunities for students in an array of clinical learning environments. To comply with program policies, state and local regulations for healthcare providers, and in the interest of your own personal safety, the safety of your patients, and the potential liability to both the college and clinical agency, there are significant compliance requirements that must be met in order to enter the clinical area.
Applicants are expected to review the Compliance Policy for Clinical Placement prior to application to the program.