Associate Degree Nursing (A45110)
Associate in Applied Science
The Associate Degree Nursing curriculum provides knowledge, skills, and strategies to integrate safety and quality into nursing care, to practice in a dynamic environment, and to meet individual needs which impact health, quality of life, and achievement of potential.
Course work includes and builds upon the domains of healthcare, nursing practice, and the holistic individual. Content emphasizes the nurse as a member of the interdisciplinary team providing safe, individualized care while employing evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and informatics. Courses must be completed in sequences as outlined in the curriculum.
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN).
Employment opportunities are vast within the global health care system and may include positions within acute, chronic, extended, industrial, and community health care facilities.
Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Minimum Requirements
- Complete the RCC admissions process ( apply to RCC, submit all transcripts)
- Completed BIO 168 and BIO 169 with a grade of “C” or higher. (Applicants may be enrolled in BIO 169 in the Spring 2022 semester.)
- Completed CHM 131 (with lab CHM 131A ) or CHM 151 with a grade of “C” or higher. (Applicants may be enrolled in CHM 131 /A or CHM 151 in the Spring 2022 semester.)
- Completed ENG 111 with a grade of “C” or higher. (Applicant may be enrolled in ENG 111 in the Spring 2022 semester.)
- Have a 2.8 GPA or higher from all completed pre-requisite and nursing general education courses. GPA calculation includes:
- Be in Satisfactory Academic Standing with Rockingham Community College (2.0 or higher RCC cumulative GPA).
- Attend a mandatory Nursing Information Session in the 2021/2022 academic year.
- Hold current certification in Adult and Child CPR issued by the American Heart Association.
- Current Nurse Aide I (CNA) in North Carolina. Must be listed on the state registry. (Applicants may be currently enrolled in a Nurse Aide I class in Spring 2022.)
- Complete the TEAS exam with a minimum score of 68%. Scores are valid for 24 months (2 years) from time of application.
- Essay– One page, double spaced, typed statement responding to the following questions: What makes you a strong candidate for the ADN program at Rockingham Community College? What is the biggest challenge you will face in the ADN program?
It is your responsibility to read this page and the information it contains in its entirety. You must meet all requirements to be considered for acceptance; however, completion of these items does not guarantee acceptance to the Fall 2022 entering class.
North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBON)
P.O. Box 2129,
Raleigh, NC 27602-2129
Associate Degree Nursing Program
|Program Prerequisites: Students admitted to the Nursing Program must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher prior to enrolling in the first nursing [NUR] class and Certification of completion of Nurse Aide I and current listing on NC Reg istry without substantive findings.|
|BIO 168||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||3||3||0||4|
|BIO 169||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||3||3||0||4|
|CHM 131||Introduction to Chemistry||3||0||3||3|
|CHM 131A||Introduction to Chemistry Lab or||0||3||0||1|
|CHM 151||General Chemistry I||3||3||0||4|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 111||Introduction to Health Concepts||4||6||6||8|
|NUR 112||Health-Illness Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 113||Family Health Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 118||Nutrition/Diet Therapy||2||0||0||2|
|PSY 150||General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 114||Holistic Health Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|PSY 241||Developmental Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|ENG 112||Writing/Research in the Disciplines||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 211||Health Care Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 212||Health System Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 213||Complex Health Concepts||4||3||15||10|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3||0||0||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: ART 111, ART 114, ART 115, MUS 110, MUS 112, PHI 215, PHI 240 Gen Ed: HUM 115|
Associate Degree Nursing Program Costs
Associate Degree Nursing students should be prepared to incur additional expenses beyond college fees and tuition.
Outlined below are estimated expenses and are subject to change:
|First Year||Second Year|
|* Drug Screening and Background Check||$114||$80|
|Immunizations (include but not limited to|
|Hep B, TB, Flu, childhood immunizations)||$300||$300|
|Uniforms for Clinical and Lab||$140|
|1 pair bandage scissors, 1 pair hemostats, pen light,|
|3-color pen, 1 stethoscope, 1 sphygmomanometer||$100|
|1 pair shoes (white leather)||$50 – 75|
|Watch with second hand; military time preferred||$25|
|Online educational services|
|Student Accident Insurance||$6||$4|
|Nursing Pin, Lamp, and Cap (optional)||$75|
|CPR||$30 – 50|
|(National Council Licensure Exam, NCLEX-RN)||$300|
"Amazing teachers, always available to help you when needed, always patient while answering questions or explaining anything."-- Fall 2021 Nursing Student