Associate Degree Nursing (A45110)
Associate in Applied Science
The Associate Degree Nursing curriculum provides knowledge, skills, and strategies to integrate safety and quality into nursing care, to practice in a dynamic environment, and to meet individual needs which impact health, quality of life, and achievement of potential.
Course work includes and builds upon the domains of healthcare, nursing practice, and the holistic individual. Content emphasizes the nurse as a member of the interdisciplinary team providing safe, individualized care while employing evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and informatics. Courses must be completed in sequences as outlined in the curriculum.
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN).
Employment opportunities are vast within the global health care system and may include positions within acute, chronic, extended, industrial, and community health care facilities.
2. Students are required to attend one Nursing Information Session.
3. Complete minimum admission requirements by specific date at the end of February of the admission
4. Admission to all RCC Health Science programs is a competitive process. Applicants are evaluated based
upon academic performance.
5. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher in nursing general education courses by the
published deadline date for submitting Candidate Review Forms to the Admissions Office. Applicants not meeting the cumulative GPA requirements will not be reviewed by the program area for admission.
6. Students must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher before admission to the ADN Program: BIO 168, BIO 169, CHM 131 /CHM131A or CHM 151 and certification of completion of Nurse Aide I and current listing on NC Registry with no substantiated findings.
7. All transcripts must be on file in the Admissions Office in order for a student to be considered for admission.
9. Upon program acceptance, students must submit to a background check, drug screening and medical review/screen to include physical examination and immunizations. All fees associated with background check, drug screen and medical review are the responsibility of the student.
North Carolina Board of Nursing (NCBON)
P.O. Box 2129,
Raleigh, NC 27602-2129
Associate Degree Nursing Program
|Program Prerequisites: Students admitted to the Nursing Program must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher prior to enrolling in the first nursing [NUR] class and Certification of completion of Nurse Aide I and current listing on NC Reg istry without substantive findings.|
|BIO 168||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||3||3||0||4|
|BIO 169||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||3||3||0||4|
|CHM 131||Introduction to Chemistry||3||0||3||3|
|CHM 131A||Introduction to Chemistry Lab or||0||3||0||1|
|CHM 151||General Chemistry I||3||3||0||4|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 111||Introduction to Health Concepts||4||6||6||8|
|NUR 112||Health-Illness Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 113||Family Health Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 118||Nutrition/Diet Therapy||2||0||0||2|
|PSY 150||General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 114||Holistic Health Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|PSY 241||Developmental Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|ENG 112||Writing/Research in the Disciplines||3||0||0||3|
|NUR 211||Health Care Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 212||Health System Concepts||3||0||6||5|
|NUR 213||Complex Health Concepts||4||3||15||10|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3||0||0||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: ART 111, ART 114, ART 115, MUS 110, MUS 112, PHI 215, PHI 240 Gen Ed: HUM 115|
Associate Degree Nursing Program Costs
Associate Degree Nursing students should be prepared to incur additional expenses beyond college fees and tuition.
Outlined below are estimated expenses and are subject to change:
|First Year||Second Year|
|* Drug Screening and Background Check||$114||$80|
|Immunizations (include but not limited to|
|Hep B, TB, Flu, childhood immunizations)||$300||$300|
|Uniforms for Clinical and Lab||$140|
|1 pair bandage scissors, 1 pair hemostats, pen light,|
|3-color pen, 1 stethoscope, 1 sphygmomanometer||$100|
|1 pair shoes (white leather)||$50 – 75|
|Watch with second hand; military time preferred||$25|
|Online educational services|
|Student Accident Insurance||$6||$4|
|Nursing Pin, Lamp, and Cap (optional)||$75|
|CPR||$30 – 50|
|(National Council Licensure Exam, NCLEX-RN)||$300|