Medical Office Administration (A25310)
Associate in Applied Science
The Medical Office Administration curriculum prepares individuals for employment as medical administrative personnel in the areas of medical office, medical billing and coding, dental office, patient services, and medical documents.
Course work includes medical terminology, medical coding, medical insurance and billing, medical legal and ethical issues, medical auditing, medical office management, oral and written communication, computer applications, customer service and other topics depending on the selected area of study.
Graduates should qualify for employment opportunities in a variety of medical office positions in medical and dental offices, hospitals, insurance companies, laboratories, medical supply companies, and other healthcare related organizations. Upon graduation, students may be eligible to sit for industry recognized certification exams.
|CIS 110||Introduction to Computers||2||2||3|
|ENG 111||Writing & Inquiry||3||0||3|
|MED 121||Medical Terminology I||3||0||3|
|OST 136||Word Processing||2||2||3|
|OST 149||Medical Legal Issues||3||0||3|
|MED 122||Medical Terminology II||3||0||3|
|OST 148||Medical Insurance and Billing||3||0||3|
|OST 181||Office Procedures||2||2||3|
|MKT 223||Customer Service||3||0||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3||0||3|
|OST 164||Office Editing||3||0||3|
|OST 247||Procedure Coding||2||2||3|
|OST 248||Diagnostic Coding||2||2||3|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3||0||3|
|BUS 151||People Skills||3||0||3|
|OST 243||Medical Office Simulation||2||2||3|
|OST 249||Medical Coding Certification Preparation||2||3||3|
|OST 264||Medical Auditing||3||0||3|
|OST 280||Electronic Health Records||2||2||3|
|Communications Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: COM 120, ENG 112|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: ART 111, MUS 110, PHI 240 Gen Ed: HUM 115|
|Mathematics Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: MAT 143, MAT 152, MAT 171|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective – Choose one of the following: UGETC: PSY 150, SOC 210|
- Analyze medical information utilizing knowledge of appropriate medical terminology.
- Interpret coding guidelines and accurately apply diagnostic and procedural coding based on applicable medical records and services rendered.
- Demonstrate the effective listening, verbal, written, interpersonal, and technological skills needed in today’s medical office.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of current medical law and health insurance knowledge in processing patient, health care, and insurance information.
- Utilize electronic health records in medical documentation and patient management.
- Apply regulations and policies to perform medical record audits for provider services.