Which GI Bill Should I Apply For
Eligibility Criteria are complex and the following is general information about eligibility. Students MUST file an Application for Veterans Educational Benefits to determine eligibility.
- Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill: Contributed $1200 while on Active Duty and generally benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.
- Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Voc Rehab): Helps Veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs through educational opportunities.
- Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill: Served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days on or after 09/11/2001 and must waive all other educational benefits.
- Chapter 35 – Dependent’s Educational Assistance (DEA): Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.
- Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR): The program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserves.
- Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Programs (REAP): Designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called to active duty in response to a war or national emergency.
- Tuition Assistance – TA Educational Assistance Program: Tuition Assistance may be provided to eligible active duty and Reserve members through their respective military.
Steps to Complete for VA Benefits at RCC:
- Complete an RCC Admissions Application
- Complete the VA application for educational benefits
- Submit official High School transcript to Admissions
- Submit official transcripts for ALL previously attended colleges to Admissions
- Take Placement tests (if applicable)
- Register only for the classes required in your current program of study and needed to graduate in your current program of study.
- Meet with the RCC VA Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office (to make an appointment call 336-342-4261 ext. 2000 or 2203)
- Bring a copy of your DD-214 (must be the Member 4 copy), your Letter of Eligibility (mailed to you from the VA upon completion of the application for Veterans Educational Benefits, and a copy of your current class schedule to the meeting with the RCC VA Coordinator
Important Information to Remember:
- It is the student’s responsibility to submit a copy of their class schedule to the Financial Aid Office EVERY semester that they would like their classes certified to the VA in order to recieve VA benefits.
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify the RCC VA Coordinator IMMEDIATELY of any changes in their program of study, class schedule, attendance, dropping a course, and/or withdrawing from a course.
- Students receiving VA educational benefits at RCC must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please refer to RCC’s SAP Policy.
- Audited Classes are not VA eligible.