Emergency Medical Science (A45340A)
Associate in Applied Science
The Emergency Medical Science curriculum provides individuals with the knowledge, skills and attributes to provide advanced emergency medical care as a paramedic for critical and emergent patients who access the emergency medical system and prepares graduates to enter the workforce.
Students will gain complex knowledge, competency, and experience while employing evidence based practice under medical oversight, and serve as a link from the scene into the healthcare system.
Graduates of this program may be eligible to take state and/or national certification examinations. Employment opportunities include providers of emergency medical services, fire departments, rescue agencies, hospital specialty areas, industry, educational and government agencies.
Emergency Medical Science Minimum Requirements
- Complete the RCC admissions process ( apply to RCC, submit all transcripts).
- Eligible to take ENG 111 with or without a co-requisite.
- Pass CASAS English placement test (or have credit for ENG 111 ).
- Eligible to take MAT 143 or higher with or without a co-requisite.
NOTE: All EMS applicants are initially in the Prehealth Emergency Medical Science (A10300EM) program. Students will be officially enrolled in the Emergency Medical Science (A45340A) program after successfully completing all application steps in the section below.
North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation Office of Emergency Medical Services
Physical Address: 1201 Umstead Drive, Raleigh, North Carolina 27603-2008
Mailing Address: 2707 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2707
|ENG 111 Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|EMS 110 EMT||6||6||3||9|
|BIO 163 Basic Anatomy & Physiology||3||3||0||5|
|EMS 122 EMS Clinical Practicum I||0||0||3||1|
|EMS 130 Pharmacology||3||3||0||4|
|EMS 131 Advanced Airway Management||1||2||0||2|
|EMS 160 Cardiology I||2||3||0||3|
|EMS 220 Cardiology II||2||3||0||3|
|EMS 221 EMS Clinical Practicum II||0||0||6||2|
|PSY 150 General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|ENG 112 Writing/Research in the Discipline||3||0||0||3|
|EMS 231 EMS Clinical Practicum III||0||0||9||3|
|EMS 250 Medical Emergencies||3||3||0||4|
|EMS 260 Trauma Emergencies||1||3||0||2|
|EMS 235 EMS Management||2||0||0||2|
|EMS 241 EMS Clinical Practicum IV||0||0||12||4|
|EMS 270 Life Span Emergencies||3||3||0||4|
|EMS 240 Patients with Special Challenges||1||2||0||2|
|EMS 285 EMS Capstone||1||3||0||2|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3||0||0||3|
- Demonstrate the roles and responsibilities of a paramedic within an EMS system, perform the basic concepts of development, pathophysiology and pharmacology to assessment and management of emergency patients, be able to properly administer medications, and apply effective communication with patients, peers, and healthcare professionals.
- Demonstrate advanced airway management including oxygenation and ventilation of a patient.
- Develop a field impression based on assessment findings and integration of pathophysiological principles.
- Implement the treatment plan for the medical and trauma patient, including various age groups.
- Operate as an emergency service provider using sound judgment, applying rationality, self-awareness, critical thinking and discipline in responding to emergency situations.
- Complete the credentialing process through the North Carolina Office of EMS, which would allow the graduate to practice in a variety of healthcare settings.
Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook US Department of Labor.
Emergency Medical Science Program Costs
Emergency Medical Science program students should be prepared to incur additional expenses beyond college fees and tuition.
Outlined below are estimated expenses and are subject to change:
|First Year||Second Year|
|* Drug Screening and Background Check||$114||$80|
|Immunizations (include but not limited to Hep B, TB, Flu, childhood immunizations)||$300||$300|
|Uniforms for Clinical and Lab||$140|
|Watch with second hand; military time preferred||$25|
|Student Accident Insurance||$6||$4|
|North Carolina Certification Exam (NCOEMS)||$68|
|National Registry Certification Exam (NREMT)||$125|